The NTSA TIMS portal offers several services including convenient transfer of vehicles ownership, Car registration, change of particulars among other services.
Over 250 government services, today have been digitized in a move to enhance service delivery and efficiency in the government.
Our focus is on the NTSA TIMS portal which was developed in 2016 to consolidate information and enhance performance in the transport sector.
What is NTSA TIMS?
TIMS stands for Transport Integrated Management Systems. It is a convenient and free government portal that allows the public to access NTSA services seamlessly.
NTSA TIMS portal is available for dealers, individuals, companies and financial institutions. Here are some of the key services that Kenyans get from the NTSA TIMS portal.
- Transfer of car ownership
- Car Registration
- Vehicle inspection
- Duplicate Logbook application
- Change of particulars
- Reflective Number Plate application
- Online car search using either the registration number or the chassis number
How to register in TIMS
Before you can access the services offered by TIMS, you must create a personal account first. Follow the following step by step guide to register for an account successfully.
- Visit the NTSA web portal by clicking on this link
- Click on ‘Register an account’
- Enter all the required details including KRA pin, ID number, DL number, and any other required details.
- Note that both buyer and seller should register for an account in order to transfer a motor vehicle.
- Click on “Subscribe SMS” at the top right-hand side of your screen to receive a security code.
- You will also get other notifications involved in the transfer of motor vehicle process.
- Log into your account after a successful registration
- Click on the ‘Login Method’ to choose whether to use ID number for individuals and Username or Certificate of Incorporation for companies, followed by your password.
- Enter the pop-up Security Code sent to your mobile phone via SMS.
- Click on the Sign In button to log into the system
How to Transfer your Vehicle via NTSA TIMS
A big percentage of people who visit the NTSA TIMS portal do so in order to transfer ownership of their cars.
Must read | How to clear your name from CRB instantly
It is the most sought after service on TIMS and thanks to the swift systems, a service that used to take ages now takes a fraction of time to complete. Here is a step by step guide on how to transfer your vehicle online via NTSA TIMS.
- On the TIMS portal, go to ‘Vehicle Registration button’
- Click on proceed to apply for transfer of ownership.
- Click on Create New button.
- Enter the registration number of the vehicle you want to transfer.
- Click on the Inquire button.
- A page showing basic information of the vehicle being transferred will appear. It will also show the original owner.
- Click view to see particulars of the vehicle.
- Upload a scanned copy of the car logbook.
- Under New Vehicle Owners, the seller should select Individual/Non-Individual/Financier then, enter buyer’s details.
- Individuals should enter the National ID/Alien ID and PIN.
- Company/Financial Institutions should enter KRA PIN and click on the Add button.
- Verify vehicle transfer by proceeding to security verification.
- Select verify by SMS code.
- Enter the verification code sent to your mobile number and submit.
How to Accept/Decline ownership of vehicle via TIMS
The buyer, on the other hand, receives an SMS notification informing them that a vehicle has been transferred to them.
They should accept or decline the ownership of the vehicle for the process to be completed. Here is the process of how to accept or decline the ownership transfer of a vehicle through TIMS.
- Click on this link to login to your NTSA TIMS account
- On your account, accept ownership of the vehicle
- Enter the registration number of the car and click inquire
- Click on ‘View vehicle particular’
- To verify that it is the vehicle you wanted, proceed to security verification.
- Choose verification via mobile
- A verification code will be sent to the buyer’s mobile number
- Enter the code and ACCEPT or DECLINE the transfer of the vehicle
- If you click on ACCEPT you will be required to give additional personal information
- If you click DECLINE transfer, ownership of the car will be reverted back to the seller.
- Finish the process by clicking submit
The application will be forwarded NTSA for processing and clearance in a process that takes 7 working days.
NOTE: It is mandatory for both the buyer and seller to have an account on NTSA TIMS for the transfer to be done online. It is also important for both the buyer and seller to subscribe to the TIMS SMS code notifications.
Read also | Best Banks in Kenya to open an account with
If you have any questions about vehicle ownership transfer through the NTSA TIMS portal, you can download the NTSA app from Google Play Store and send an inquiry directly via the app.
How to Subscribe to NTSA TIMS SMS
Follow this simple procedure to successfully subscribe to TIMS SMS
- Visit the SMS portal and subscribe for the SMS notifications
- Enter your phone number and subscribe
- To confirm you have subscribed to NTSA 22847 Service:
- Dial *100*5*4*1# for Safaricom prepaid
- Dial *200*5*4*1# for Safaricom postpaid
NTSA TIMS transfer fees
|VEHICLE CAPACITY||NTSA PAYMENTS in Ksh|
|0 – 1000cc||2160.00|
|1001 – 1200cc||2390.00|
|1201 – 1500cc||2565.00|
|1501 – 1700cc||2910.00|
|1701 – 2000cc||3195.00|
|2001 – 2500cc||4345.00|
|2501 – 3000cc||5555.00|
|3001cc – and above||6415.00|
|Trailer less than four wheels||1530.00|
|A trailer with four wheels or more||2390.00|
|Motor Cycle / Three Wheeler||1530.00|
|Discharge and Transfer of Ownership||625.00|
How to contact NTSA TIMS
Make sure you contact NTSA for any inquiries or clarifications. You can reach them through these contact details.
Call: 0709 932 500 or 020 6632 500
NTSA TIMS website: www.tims.ntsa.go.ke