If you think about the taxi business in Kenya, you probably think about companies like Uber, little cab and taxify. These are some of the renowned taxi companies operating in Kenya to name a few.
The demand for taxis is growing by the day in Kenya owing to a thriving middle class in the country that is willing to pay a taxi for the efficiency it comes with.
Most of these taxi companies have mobile apps where clients can book a taxi from the luxury of their chair and get picked at their doorstep. This has created an opportunity for people who wish to tap into the taxi business.
Before you make a mistake of buying the wrong car for the taxi business, be sure to read this recommendation of the best cars to use as taxis.
It doesn’t matter if you are planning on being a freelance taxi operator or join one of the many taxi networks.
Choosing the right car for taxi business means that you get extra profits and tips in your pocket at the end of every trip.
Read Also: 10 Stupid things car owners do
Choosing the right car is also essential as it dictates the amount of money you spend on fuel, maintenance, and servicing.
Taxi business driver requirements
To join either of the three companies mentioned, Uber, taxify and little cab, you have to meet some of their critical requirements.
Uber is the most notorious when it comes to setting tight regulations for its operators. Nairobi was one of the first cities in the world to welcome Uber.
Since their entrance in the Kenyan market, Uber has employed several drivers and signed several cars creating a whole new business.
Must read: 10 things you should never do when driving
To be an Uber driver in Kenya, one must meet the following requirements:
- Clean driving license
- One must be above 21 years of age
- You must have 3 years of driving experience
- Valid National Identification Card
- Must have a PSV driving license
- One must not have a past criminal record
Taxi business | Car requirements
If you own a car, you can use it as a taxi to make some extra cash. As a matter of fact, if you make good use of your car, you might as well quit your full-time job to be a driver.
If you relate well with people, you can quickly get a list of loyal clients who will always call you if they need transport.
However, the first step to making money in the taxi business is having the right car for this kind of business
Here are some of the requirements that your car must meet in order to be licensed to operate as an Uber.
- The car must have a Clean PSV insurance cover
- You must possess a motor registration certificate
- Uber inspects all car models before accepting them to be used in their taxi services.
- Your car should not be older than 2006-2008
- Uber only accepts minivans and four-door cars
- Your car should not have any cosmetic damage
- Vehicles should not have any commercial branding
- Hatchbacks are not accepted
- Your car must pass the quality and service inspection done at Uber offices
Best Cars for Taxi business
This is the list of best cars to use for taxi business in Kenya. The vehicles are categorized in different classes according to Uber classification: Uber chap chap, Uber X, Uber Select
Here you can find a list of vehicles accepted by Uber Kenya. Uber offers three types of choices:
Best cars for Uber X
Uber X is the most popular category with Kenyans and most new cars qualify for this category.
The category offers comfortable rides at a reasonable price. Uber X is also popular with people who like to share a ride. The cars that are enrolled for this category include;
- Mazda: Demio 1300cc
- Nissan: March 2006 and above (fuel-efficient), Note 2006 and above (fuel-efficient)
- Toyota: Vita 2006 and above(fuel-efficient), Belta 1000cc, Passo 1000cc, Vitz 1000cc, Belta 1300cc, Passo 1300cc, Porte 1300cc, Reacts 1300cc, Vitz 1300cc
- Mitsubishi: Mitsubishi Colt 1300cc
- Nissan: March 1300cc
- Suzuki: Swift 2006 and above (fuel-efficient)
- Honda: FIT 2006 and above (fuel-efficient), Insight 2006 and above (fuel-efficient)
- Daihatsu: MIRA 2006 and above (fuel-efficient)
Best cars for Uber SELECT
Unlike Uber X this category is dominated by mid-tier luxury sedans which command higher fares for luxury traveling. The cars must meet the following requirements:
- The model year 2008 or newer
- Seat at least 4 passengers
- Working windows and air conditioning
- No taxicabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
Must read: Places to get Unsecured loans in Kenya
Below are the cars that used as Uber Select in the taxi business.
- Mazda: Mazda3
- Nissan: Wingroad, Bluebird, Lafesta
- Toyota: Corona Premio, Corolla, Corolla Axio, Corolla Fielder, 4Runner, Isis, Prius, Wish, Allion, Noah, Premio, Sienna, Voxy
- Subaru: Forester
- Mitsubishi: Lancer
Best cars for Uber CHAP CHAP
Uber Chap Chap is the latest flagships by Uber which is a low tier category coming with more affordable fares. Chap Chap launched in Nairobi in February and its currently available in several cities of Kenya.
Uber Kenya signed an agreement with CMC Motors, holder of Suzuki franchise in Kenya.
They imported 300 Altos for driver-owners in partnership with Stanbic bank at a cost of Ksh. 835,000 per vehicle.